BECAUSE I HAVE NO LIFE AND THIS IS REALLY BOTHERING ME…
The prevailing theory on Tumblr on how Sherlock survived the fall was that he managed to land in a laundry truck.
Benedict Cumberbatch is 1.84 meters tall and by using his body you can measure how far from the building he would have had to jump to make it into the truck. Roughly 7.32 meters.
Sherlock is standing on the Pathological Department of St. Bartholomew’s Hospital. Google Street View shows what appears to be Routemaster double-decker buses which are 4.38 meters tall. The building therefore is roughly 14.6 meters.
You can use Pythagoras’ theorem to calculate the distance which is 16.33 meters. FYI: The World Record for men’s long jump is 8.95 meters and that was done with a running start. Sherlock flopped over the edge with no horizontal directional speed. I don’t think it’s possible for the laundry truck theory.
EDIT: how much time he had to “steer” towards the truck while falling.
Time = √ 2(height)/gravity
Time = √ 2(14.6m)/9.8 m/s²
Time = √ 29.2m/9.8 m/s²
Time = √ 2.98 m/s²
Time = 1.73 seconds
Sherlock was falling for 1.73 seconds.
Question: Can you jump off a 14.6 meter building and land in a truck full of laundry 7.23 meters away in 1.73 seconds?
EDIT 2: no one will read this because the post has been carried away by reblogs but I never said the body would fall in a straight diagonal line. I was just measuring the distance from the roof to the truck. Though now I realize I didn’t factor in the height of the bed of the truck so 16.33 is really useless. Disregard! Carry on.
- crumbleintoash likes this
- seichiinara reblogged this from mourningprince
- beautyfadedinthelight likes this
- nogginthenog likes this
- 23monsterbabys likes this
- 23monsterbabys reblogged this from 221b-bake-a-cake
- 221b-bake-a-cake likes this
- 221b-bake-a-cake reblogged this from finalproblem
- fionapotato likes this
- charliehasopinionsonstuff reblogged this from wipemyassbutt
- charliehasopinionsonstuff likes this
- laughing-makes-things-better reblogged this from expectopatrowhat
- thatothernerdyguy likes this
- expectopatrowhat reblogged this from expectopatrowhat
- someonelikev reblogged this from teaaddicted
- closetothewildheart likes this
- delesi likes this
- britishteafanboy likes this
- lost-sherlockian-heart reblogged this from goodthingscometothosewhowaste
- passively-evil-cabbie reblogged this from cookies-make-the-world-go-om-nom
- maesterqyburn likes this
- thegartlandtheory reblogged this from goodthingscometothosewhowaste
- theeniexx reblogged this from cookies-make-the-world-go-om-nom
- theeniexx likes this
- goodthingscometothosewhowaste reblogged this from cookies-make-the-world-go-om-nom
- defectivecounterpart reblogged this from mourningprince
- mourningprince reblogged this from officiallybananas
- mourningprince likes this
- cup-o-moriartea reblogged this from brittannys
- officiallybananas reblogged this from cookies-make-the-world-go-om-nom
- mockingdemons likes this
- thefandomson221b reblogged this from brittannys
- thefandomson221b likes this
- turbothor likes this
- rachitang likes this
- brittannys reblogged this from a-very-nerdy-anglophile
- a-very-nerdy-anglophile reblogged this from cookies-make-the-world-go-om-nom
- catopeetamellark likes this
- catopeetamellark reblogged this from royalty-cares
- sacerejies reblogged this from seitentasten
- let-your-ego-die likes this
- seitentasten reblogged this from cookies-make-the-world-go-om-nom
- royalty-cares reblogged this from cookies-make-the-world-go-om-nom
- royalty-cares likes this
- dooooweeeeoooooooo reblogged this from i-want-my-name
- holy-tardis-of-bakerstreet likes this
- nobleponddoctoroftheshire reblogged this from andimhannah
- andimhannah reblogged this from mugglerepellant
- jenny-is-the-queen reblogged this from thanksgivlng